Experts have found out why the flu vaccine is dangerous for children
Last year, the flu vaccine Fluvax caused unpleasant complications in 251 children in Western Australia. Severely sick children, they have a fever was fixed, and in 57 – seizures. This led to a ban on the use of the vaccine for children under five. Scientists have finally discovered what could be the reason, says The West Australian.
Associate Professor Heath Kelly of the Department of Epidemiology Laboratory of Infectious Diseases has identified a chemical compound that is used to split influenza viruses. That it could lead to side effects, according to a paper published in the journal Medical Journal of Australia.
These are deoxycholate. This detergent, allowing split viruses and remove them from the shell. Its use has been associated with adverse reactions to the vaccine not only in Australia, but in Europe and Canada. Known: the vaccine Fluvax – the only one which used deoxycholate.
Experts said the side effects are probably caused by the fact that the virus is not cleaved deoxycholate properly (mainly talking about the swine flu virus H1N1). Incorrectly split virus might be too strong for the immune system in children.